It is time to make this drink, Shik'ye. For the past 2 months, I've been buying the brand Birak Shik'ye. I've been wanting to make a homemade bottle to test my skill. Shik'ye, to me is the lemonade of Korea. Who doesn't enjoy tiny bits of zesty lemon? The mouth feel in Shik'ye comes from rice. If you stir the drink, the rice looks like the snow in a miniature glass world.
The recipe is quite simple, but the wait is longer than any braise or confit.
You have to let the rice sit for three hours.
You have to let the yotkirum (Barley malt) sediment settle to the bottom.
You have to let the cooked rice ferment for six hours.
You have to wait, ...and wait.
And then, scoop the rice out and boil the liquid with ginger and sugar.
Not yet ready, because now you have to chill it.
It is almost 2 am and the fermentation has begun, finally.
It looks like Mrs. Chang's recipe will yield a little over a quart. That's not enough to delight my coworkers tomorrow, or... today, argh!
Quick notes:
I expanded on the recipe and will add a few things. Instead of adding sugar during the final boil, I plan on adding a simple syrup fortified with ginger and jujube. Mrs. Chang says that the rice drink becomes quite sweet without sugar if you use enough of the malt. Her recipe doesn't even call for sugar, actually. Just from asking the Koh-ree-ans here, they say to put sugar. I'm going to add just enough of the syrup to make it not taste like a rice Koolaide. AKMCN, pp. 60
...maybe I'll have dreams of glass snow worlds tonight~ Shik'ye, come to me.
1 comment:
Woke up at 5:30 AM and viola! Did the final boil, added about a .25C syrup and then chilled it. Brought it to work, and it was a rave! Just enough for everyone~ glad.
Post a Comment