Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Sick Leave~

I don't usually call in sick.  Tomorrow I have to because I'm really sick.  The students have mid-term exams this Friday to Monday and it would not be good to pass on the downer.  I'm super contagious right now with a head and chest cold, and my sinuses are jammed up- argh...

This past weekend I went out on a date with Hyeon Gyeong- the girl with the swimmer's shoulders and the V-Line.  We shared a good time in Hong Dae.  She works as a marketing agent for a Ramien company.  From 8 am to 7 pm she works, and then she goes to an English institute until 10 pm'ish studying English.  I was wondering why the long feedback between texts~ and it was because of her long schedule.  She's an odd ball, at least that is how her friends describe her.  She doesn't mind spending lots of time alone, because she is normally studying English translations of English fiction or interview questions for the company.  Her smile is a bit off-centered because her teeth are not aligned very well.  The top row of teeth naturally drop over one row to the right.  Her laugh will stop wars.  She's a curious one who isn't so naive, but yet pure.  We have chemistry.

The students are out of control because of mid-term exams.  I had to raise my voice with 3 out of 5 classes today.  My raspy voice was already struggling with a chest cold, but damn it, I had to do it.  I'm kind with them, but when they step over with what is fair then I have to become the disciplinarian.  For one thing, the ESL classes are much more relaxed than their normal 'Korean' classes.  One way of controlling students (which is becoming quite controversial lately) is by hitting them.  You are considered less of a man if you do not hit.  It's a bit weird to the foreigner, but I don't do it.  Don't get me wrong, I would hit my own child if it had to be done.

Working with adolescents is sometimes difficult for me to understand.  They are in a period of self discovery.  Their brains make rash decisions and at times they are raging with hormones.  Boys are learning about pride and envy.  Girls mature faster, but are overwhelmed  with acceptance and appearance~ both sexes are concerned about this.  I once described to a class that beauty comes from within.  They looked at me like I was some kind of idiot.

It's late and I'm hungry.  It's raining outside.  The sound of splashing traffic zooming by can be heard.  It's the sound of the city seven floors high.  The silhouette of mountains line the sky.  Come sunrise, spring colors return.  Time to celebrate a hangover redemption, a child's birth- a new day.  The morning air is crisp as are the nights.  It's time for brisk walks and weekend picnics.  I think of Hyeon.  I think of the swimming pool.  And the dinner I will be cooking for all the co-teachers.  Dinner party in my bat cave should be interesting.  The date is not yet set, but the event is imminent.  Let's reactivate my olfactory first...  Good night to the rhythm around me, good night and the sweetest of dreams...

No comments: