For the past 4 days the kids have been running to the counter to see the demonstration for what they have to prepare. There hasn't been any heat except for the microwave cooking so far. All of the recipes call for assembly and the main flavor profile has been sweet, and slightly sour.
The main idea for this post is that, the kids for Summer Camp have been so excited to be in the kitchen. Angela, her American nickname asked me, "Don Teacher, do you like to cook?" And I gave her a wink and said, "What do you think?" The kids... they run to the counter to watch the demo on what they have to do. And they follow... they follow. They know the different flavor profiles, they know the 5 senses, they understand and they do... this brings a smile to my face because the adults that enter this kitchen say, "wow! it smells great in here!"
The thing that I want them to know is to have a little respect for what they put into their mouths,... to keep it clean, and to do it to music... make it good.
Oh these elementary kids are having a good time..! Two more days of camp in this secluded mountain area. Only two crosswords finished, and only two more days left. Tomorrow we cook popcorn with different seasonings.
Tonight, the Korean teachers and the Westerners had some drinks together in the cabin my roommate and I sleep in. They played WeeBowling and I was the DJ. Everyone had a great time. Earlier, the Westerners couldn't decide how to get into town, because this camp is in the middle of nowhere. Since they had mountain bikes (raggedy ones) available, I took one and said let's ride into town for boos and stuff. The ride down was the most scenic ride ever! Two peddles and you cruised it like a Hells Angel. Mountains and rice fields at eye level, the sun at your back which was just about to set, and we had all the time. Yes, the ride back was all uphill, and the guys were mostly out of shape and/or married... But Michael, the guy with the back problem and 2 years into marriage said, "I don't smoke or drink alcohol,... but that ride down the mountain .. I felt young again and.. that was the highlight of this camp.."
Cheers. sleep tight Michael. To you, buddy! I told you not to carry those sweets in that bag up the hill, ha... considering the swing it will bring to your bike.. (Seattle shirt with hands crossed) Peace
No comments:
Post a Comment