You return to Korea and 6 hours later you're going on a date. Don't count your lucky stars mate. But you're probably wearing a 'just-returned-from-an-awesome-trip' face. Yes, I'm going to party tonight. A bit nervous actually, and Bach's Contata No. 147 playing in the background is definitely making me want to get my groove on. About the phrase, 'wearing a face'. It's not that artificial laugh one might hear when you're desperate for friends. Permit me to explain my concept about wearing a face. It's not necessarily wearing your feelings on your lapel, nor is it having a poker face. Wearing a face is the ability to consciously be aware of your reactions to a given situation. A receptive listener will pick up on all of your reactions that you are NOT aware of. And that person is either your friend or your enemy.
The 'face' concept sounds like a big game. It just might be so, actually (hmmm). This is something that you do not talk about when you're out with someone that speaks English as a second language. Therefore, you're non-verbal communication has to be as neutral as possible. The last time we went out, while making corrections to a sermon she translated for a preacher in Cali, I just couldn't stop commenting on how lovely she smelled. She owns a perfume shop, and of all the perfumes to choose from it was this bottle, 'yeah that one'. It made everything alright. A loner preacher's girl I found in a disco-tech in Itaewon- What has this world come to?
Unlearning how to cook, beginning with Korean food. This is my secret that I'm sharing to the entire blog world. It's a flavor I would whole heartedly share with a friend or cook all day for my enemies- go figure..
No comments:
Post a Comment