Monday, July 19, 2010

네 나와바리 -- My Neighborhood

Chickens were selling like crazy yesterday at the grocery store.  2,000 won for a whole chicken.  Today is a special day in Korea because- today is the first of the three hottest days of Summer.  So, Koreans eat Samgyae-tang- a chicken soup that is steeped in insam (ginseng) and dried jujubees.  The bird is stuffed with rice and boiled whole, one chicken per person. 

The size of the chicken is about the size of a cornish hen.  The aroma is quite therapeutic.  There are variations to Samgyae-tang which includes even adding powdered deer antlers.  Eastern medicine is a mystery to me, but I suppose a more mature palette tolerates bitter flavors.  Credit the cook who can transform bitterness into something delightful, ha!

Well, my lease ends on August 31st.  I've decided to move out of Venturetel Apartments.  The vaulted ceilings will be missed.  I'm excited, 3 apartments in 2 years and I didn't even have to lift a finger in moving, everything is taken care of by the movers.  I'm asking for an apartment that has gas burners.  If I move into another flat, then I'll have another perspective of the neighborhood.  Gunpo, Dangdong-- this is my neighborhood for real! 

No comments: