New apartment with a 3 top gas range~
On Saturday, September 18 I'll be hosting my first dinner party in Gyeonggi-do. Mari will fly in on that day and 3 hours later it will be show time. Preparations have to be made a day beforehand. It's a party of six, maybe 7~ carefully chosen. They aren't the closest of friends, but I thought about balance, and chemistry of personalities. It may be well beyond my power to control such factors, but this is my show and I'm buying plates for heaven's sake.
Last night, thoughts of menu items fluttered around. For the past week, I've thought of themes- fish, chicken, hula, lychii and coconuts, tavern, the list went on. Considering the budget, I've narrowed the list to
#1) Meatballs - 4 courses
#2) Poultry - 4 courses
Why do this?
Partly because I want to throw a birthday party, which has been delayed 3 1/2 weeks. That I find great pleasure to cook for others... and also, a bit of vanity to show myself I haven't lost the skill. And lastly, excitement that an angel will be visiting me. With a smile, I do write that last reason.
Whatever it may be, I'm flustered with ideas that I have yet to try. Gelatin sheets, whipped cream, bread crumbs, flour, and of course a trembling egg are the binders for maintaining the shape of the 4 different kinds of meatballs. Especially for the seafood meatball. I want them fluffy, light, and originally interesting. Items are cooked a-la-minute so dishes are fired up and plated before your eyes, each paired with a wine. The sauces for each dish are on the tip of my tongue.
As for the poultry, I'm thinking Chinese 5 spice. Encrusting the duck breast and sear with force. Make spreads each with a unique sauce~~~ a bit pricey though. Simplify! That is why the meatballs are lingering. I can imagine my friend Mike right now saying, "What the f)*k are you thinking, meatballs?! Are you kidding me? It's alright, I guess. I swear, you're so freakin' wierd." But then again, the budget, this has to be considered, because the following Monday it's 3 days on the road heading south and 3 days of whatever may come. I want Chusok to move as slow as possible...
And in essence, meatballs are a form of pressed meats. The ultimate reason is to test my skill~ Taking the freshest 'scraps' and making something delicious out of it, hehee ~ I've done that many a times before...
No comments:
Post a Comment