Monday, May 31, 2010

Darts in 서울

Log onto www.edarts.kr. and then click on rankings.  You see the top 300+ players shooting all over Korea.  The top seed players are in Division 1, A-Rankings.  It's unbelievable to see these guys shoot.  They rarely miss, of course.  Their shot sequence is so fast.  It's like  they shoot from instinct, 1-2-3 bam! 

Last night, John and I explored dart bars in Seoul.  We go to 홍대.  We meet his friend, Paul who is an AA13 shooter, and was once the number 1 player in Korea.  He knows all the shooters and is greeted at the door with much respect.  He's also an alcoholic shooter.  We pounded some beer last night.

The first bar we go to was a joint called Shooters.  We go into the basement and see 5 Phoenix dart boards, a dart supply store, and shooters.  Everything is painted black, which helps to focus on the boards.  I buy new shafts and some heart-shaped strawberry flights for Nizi.  We play a game and soon get restless for some more seasoning.

The second bar we venture off to was called Keepsake.  The bar was posh, and the moment we walked in I smell perfume.  Broads were everywhere- girls sporting early Spring cocktail slits and their boyfriends in tow.  Paul is a fast walker, and we race to the back to snag an open board.  Unlike Shooters Bar, this place was loud.  It took a while to get focused while shooting.  But then, I finally see Paul really shoot.  It's unreal the speed and accuracy this guy has.  People are turning their heads to watch us play.  Yeah, we brought our own darts, but it was surely a show to watch.  Not so much for John and I, although we held our own... but for Paul, geez the guy is an explosion of shots all hitting the tip of a needle.

The third bar we explore was the climax of the night.  The moment you walk into Bar 501, your perspective for darts changes forever.  This was the grand palace of darts.  Vaulted ceilings, 20 plus dart machines, and then the two Phoenix Dart boards placed on center stage with a huge LCD to show scores.  It was dart mania in this place.  This was where I finally saw great shooters play.  1-2-3 bam, bullseye after bulls, triple and triple, closed... There was no room for error with these shooters.  John and I enjoy a game together on a corner spot.  The good thing about this place, was that smoking was prohibited in the carpeted dart area.

Lastly, we go to one last bar which I cannot remember the name of because I was drunken at this point.  John and Paul continue to shoot, and I go outside to vomit.  An idea came into my mind while I was bent over--- this lifestyle of shooting darts has not been healthy for me.  I'm a drunk shooter...  It's late night.  The only thing I remember about the last bar was that it was a tiki bar, two old school phoenix dart boards and .. that was it.

Today my body was in complete disarray.  I just rested and watched movies.  Cooked dinner, and now feeling a bit lonely.  Tried to call some friends in NY and FL, but nobody home.

I like shooting darts~  It's a hobby.  I take it seriously, though because I like winning and shooting a damn good game.  Last night was important to see, and I'm happy to have had the opportunity to play with A-Shooters.  I learned a few things for my own game, especially for 501, hat tricks, and form.  I have about 5 million more shots before I can hit what I'm aiming for consistently.  But it's okay.  놀자~~ It's fun!  Here is my ranking for now-  Zelda

No comments: