The classroom I was designated is not in the main building. It's a a side cabin that is really cozy despite the lingering smell of sewage. It's not that bad, but when you first enter the smell can't be missed. It's something about the water seal in the piping. There is a T-joint, or is it called a U-joint?, in the bathroom,.. I don't know. I cleaned the place up on the first day, and now students take off their shoes before coming in as if it were their own home. One student even asked me if I lodged in the building that I teach in. Yes, students are comfortable enough to lay down on the floor- which they do. I've created a cozy home away from home. In short, it's my drama room.
Tom is some cat from England that I've taken a liking to. He's a charming chap, that's done conservation work in Arizona, met a Korean lady there and now lives with her here in Korea. He's a runner, a trail runner. Tonight after dinner, he and I walked to town for some supplies. Yes, that is how it's like here. You go into town for supplies. Here it's one way in and one way out. Stretch your imagination far enough and this place can easily turn into a horror film. It's about 2 miles into civilization and before we left, the foreigners were talking about cab rides and such. No cab passed our way during the walk. It's a country road, and the lighting was a little short of sepia vision. There were a few scattered fires from farmers. A scant smell of burning manure was in the air. I'd say 85% mountain ice air, and the rest fertilizer. Not a star in the sky. It was misty and the twilight dew was enough to leave your arms and legs with a cool sheen. I have finally broken-in my new shoes.
Korean Poultry Butchering: Dinner tonight was bangin'. The main protein served was stewed chicken. It's common that the chicken, even for fried chicken is cut up into about inch and a half cubes- bone in. Chew with caution, because although it's tasty, you can easily pierce your gums with a bone shard. The kids eat it without any problems, because they are experienced eaters. This is the general butchering process. Do not cut at the joint, just hammer away^^.
No comments:
Post a Comment