My staples have always been carrots, onions, garlic, and potatoes- the core ingredients for most stews. The funny thing about the potatoes and carrots in Korea is the fact they are still dirty, fresh from the ground (at least one would think from the appearance). You get lucky sometimes b/c the potatoes are so new that you can rub the skin away with your thumb. I don't really mind paying for dirt when the lady weighs them and says, 'mashi-get-da..' (which translates into something like- it looks delicious). I am concerned about the carrots (Horse Carrots). These are well-endowed-sized carrots, which you think would be woody, but no these are unnaturally moist with a nice snap like a baby carrot. I don't want to get into the 'food science' of it (I really don't know crap about), but I'll tell you this, it doesn't caramelize very well in the pan. Some guy from Jersey would say, "it's something about the mois-cha' " of the carrot. Anyways, I didn't need to buy any of these items today. My list was on the hardware.
Cooks all know about 'The List'- the things you have to have completed before the first customer walks into a restaurant. My father was in the military, and during childhood, before every family vacation he would make a list. This habit of making lists makes me an efficient person. It's so methodical. I've even had a serious relationship where the idea of talking about what you have to do for the week and the day dominated our conversations- it was not good.
I'm going to cook pasta tonight. Pasta is simple. You get the most satisfaction from cooking it from scratch. No, everything from scratch. Not tonight, but it always trips me out when someone has a dinner party and they cook spaghetti. They boil the stuff, brown the ground, and pour the jar, maybe even heat the foil. The most important thing though, is the people you share it with, right? I'm an exhibitionist. I like for people to see the process. Every head is counted a day before. I prepare with no surprises in mind. It's fun, and by the end of it all, everyone is amazed by how full they are from 5 little portions. Good times and flashbacks are great and all, but... I really still only have one friend I keep in contact with.
Groceries bought:
Canola oil, black peppercorn, 1 pt milk, mortar & pestle, 2 glass ramekin for s/p.
Recipe list:
Dried shitake, rehydrated reserving the liquid
diced carrots
broccoli
bechemel
black pepper, ground
garlic
linguini
dried parsley
shrimp 71-90, tail on
red pepper powder (Korean Brand)
Sea salt.
*Cooks note, the korean brand red pepper powder and sea salt are unique.
*Intended flavor profile: umami, spicy, not so damn rich.
*Intended aroma: blk pepper n' shrooms.
No comments:
Post a Comment