Saturday, January 9, 2010

Insa-dong

Pants are a bit tight around the thighs from the layers. Got to start the day. I don't know if it's the 'makuli' from last night or that Indian love story of a movie that I just couldn't turn off this morning, that's making me retarded. That's the thing with love stories- the romance of it all lasts only for two hours.

Going to Insa-dong to get some Bali Spa brand incense from my dealer. It's a routine I do every month. Take a trip to Metro Seoul from Gunpo-si, visit the vegetarian restaurant, read awesome fiction at a hip cafe, go to my dealer, and then to Bandi-Lundi Book Store to get the latest issue of Time Magazine. The owners at the vegetarian restaurant know my usual order- Rice with mixed vegetables with mock beef. The simplicity of this dish doesn't have anything that makes you think you're eating vegetarian. The combination of assorted mushrooms, mock beef, cabbage, tofu, rice, all doused in a dark soy sauce based sauce, is a combination fit for any season (I've eaten this dish for 8 seasons). Restaurant managers would label this dish as the 'ox' because I'd wager it's low in food costs and average in food sales. The atmosphere is 'earthy', and inviting for lone diners. Sometimes I hear English speaking couples talking about weird things. A fleeting feeling passes over me and am happy I don't have to answer to anyone. The owner is a pretty lady, and you could tell during her hay-days she could get anything she wanted with a face like that. Last month she insisted that I try something new, something other than the usual. Without a flinch I tell her, okay next time you order for me. She flinched. It's her menu~ we will see what happens.

No comments: